Thursday, April 26, 2012

ANZAC Day, WIP and Games Club


Well ANZAC day has been and gone again. A day of to enjoy with family, and yet a time also to reflect on times past, the gallantry and valor of our service personnel in conflicts around the globe. I am not a Kiwi, being a British migrant, but I have a great respect for what these colonial troops did in their times for King and Country, frequently traveling to the other side of the world to risk, and often lose, their lives.

The day off gave me a chance to frantically assemble a whole bunch of Plastic Soldier Company Panzer III's (Ausf H). Why you might ask?

Well, a couple of weeks back I had an invitation to check out a local war-games club (Kapiti Wargames Club) that has been getting off the ground recently. The club is set up as a safe friendly environment for youngsters and mature gamers to get together and enjoy the hobby of war-gaming.

Being aimed in great part at the younger gamer, GW gaming features predominantly with both 40K and WFB being mainstays in gamers of all ages. However they have an interest in widening their gaming audience and games played.

With this in mind I offered to put on a demonstration game of Flames of War, with pal Paul, which we did last Thursday evening. The game was a simple yet colorful affair, pitching 1000 points each of British Para's dug in around a small hamlet, whilst elements of 12. SS Hitlerjugend Panzergrenadiers, tried to dislodge them.

The Para's clung on tenaciously as they always do, and a final 'do or die' charge, reminiscent of Viktor Gräbner's charge across Arnhem bridge, by the Germans, was stymied in the end.

The game generated a lot of interest from the spectators who asked heaps of questions about the game. I'd put on a mini display of the new rules books too including, the V3 set,  Earth & Steel , and Turning Tide books plus some flyers I'd put together myself, and these all met with great appreciation, in terms of appearance and quality of product.

So, we are off to do it again, and Paul, being the more experience player than I suggested that we put on a tank battle, that people can learn the rules with. Paul suggested a MidWar 1500 point game. OK thought I, I've had some boxes of PSC Panzers kicking about unopened for a while now, so I set to putting them together from Tuesday evening, and on through ANZAC day of Wednesday.

With The Longest Day, and A Bridge Too Far, playing on my portable DVD player beside me, I happily snipped trimmed and glued away, to the sound of machine-gun fire and exploding shells in my headphones.

A few breaks were taken to continue a FoW game Chris and I have been playing over the last few days, trying out the fortification rules.

Each tank took about an hour to put together, so its was a pretty full modelling day!

But now they are ready to game with, albeit without paint, but I don't think that will be too much of a problem at the club, as the typical child like standard of most of the kids models being unpainted or beginning paint-jobs for the most part. Kids typically wanting to get their figures on the table to game with, and painting them coming secondary...But thats fine as it gets them interested in the game, and gets them off their computers, Nintendos Xboxs PS3s and what have you!

So, game on for tonight, my Panzer III's against Pauls Shermans in an Italian setting. Looking forward to it.

No doubt the Panzer III's will get a lick of paint shortly too.

I'll report back with progress, and how the game goes...

From the local paper:





  As good mate Roly has commented on his blog too, good to see a 'bricks and mortar' club here on the Coast.

I'll be formally joining club tonight. Unfortunately I am not a 'facebooker' so though I can view the clubs facebook page, I can't comment or add pics or anything. I'll have to see if they set up an interactive club website or whatever. In the meantime I'll keep posts coming here as "AAR" s or "Bat reps" - choose your abbreviation!



7 comments:

  1. I'll look forward to hearing how the game went. Sounds like you had a great day, watching war films will trying not to glue your fingers together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep great day :-)
      Thankfully the liquid poly doesn't stick your fingers together like superglue! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Plastic Soldier Company make some great tanks. But you have to figure out how to assemble them, as the instructions really don't tell you. At least was the case with my Shermans! I bet the 3 boxes you have here were less than half the price of buying the Battlefront ones.

    I agree about WWII scale when you are going to be using a lot of tanks and guns. I love 28mm, but it's just not right for AFV stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jerry - yeah, fraction of the BF price. I hear rumors BF are losing a lot sales to PSC and thus may be bringing out their own plastic range?

      The PSC Panzer III's just have a basic schematic but no instructions. However its fairly easy to figure them out from the picture and components, though there is usually a bit where you wonder now where does that bit go, or which way up does it go??? I've usually solved these issues by looking at the 'all round views' of the same item on the BF website :-)

      Scale - yeah - a big table covered in little tanks just looks cool, you can really imagine something like Kursk being played out...

      Delete
  3. Nice way to spend ANZAC day Scott. Good luck with the game and the club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My word you have been productive! I love the idea of you building the tanks amidst the heat of the battle! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like painting or modelling to something appropriate in my headphones :-)

      Delete

Please feel free to comment on my blog. It is always nice to get feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...